Emergency help during flood or storms
We are located in the historic Forrest Fire Station on the corner of Empire Circuit and Fitzroy Street, Forrest, Canberra. The Society works to preserve the heritage of firefighting in Canberra by restoring historic vehicles and cataloging photographs and ephemera relating to the provision of fire services in the region. Currently the Museum opens on advertised Saturday mornings or by appointment.
The Fire Brigade Historical Society of the ACT was formed in 1979 to collate and display the history of fire services provided to the ACT Community since 1913.
The Forrest Fire Station and residences are listed on the ACT Heritage Register and the ACT Chapter of the Royal Australian Institute of Architects (RAIA) Register of Significant Twentieth Century Architecture. The houses are regarded by the RAIA as being excellent examples of the inter-war functionalist style.
The Collection of the society includes motorised fire appliances, hand drawn appliances and memorabilia associated with the Canberra Fire Brigade. A large collection of photographs and historic documents as well as uniforms, firefighting equipment and memorabilia from around the world. We have a fine collection which incorporates some highly significant objects including fire records from 1924 as well as the first motorised appliance used in Canberra.